View Single Post
Old 5th February 2017, 01:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Incense for the Damned (1970)

In truth, Incense for the Damned is a total mess, but a total mess with some good ideas. Directed and then disowned by Robert Hartford-Davis, a director i admire from his films The Black Torment (1964), Corruption (1968), School for Unclaimed Girls (1969) and The Fiend (1972), his name doesn't appear on the credits, nor as a pseudonym, and when you watch the film you can see why.

It's a film that treats vampirism as a sexual perversion as a young woman searches for her lover, a university student who is seduced into a satanic cult on a Greek island. The film sports a fine cast including Patrick Macnee, Peter Cushing, Edward Woodward, Imogen Hassall, Patrick Mower and Johnny Sekka but pretty much wastes all of them. The film's production was a troubled affair with much of it shot on Cyprus which gives it a unique feel, however money ran out, scenes were dumped and the producers shot new scenes with new actors at a later date.

The odd thing is that i rather enjoyed it second time around. I knew what to expect and the sheer clumsiness of it all had a certain charm that kind of allowed me to have more fun with it this time around.

Full review on The Gothic Thread. https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/mem...tml#post520035
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Incenst_for_the_Damned_Poster.jpg (28.4 KB, 6 views)