View Single Post
Old 26th March 2017, 07:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Re-watched a science-fiction film, 2009's District 9. Directed by Neill Blomkamp and produced by Peter Jackson, I'd give a film score of 4/5 only but still think that it is a pretty amazing debut film (which unfortunately subsequent Blomkamp films have failed to live up to). Be warned that around a third of the film is in a "found footage"/television documentary shot style so it may be annoying to those who aren't a fan of that technique. Wonderful cgi effects especially considering it's somewhat meagre 30 million dollar budget (my understanding is that Blomkamp worked in visual effects so has some good understanding of the medium). The cgi effects haven't aged badly despite the film being over several films old, they still look very strong.

The BBFC gave it a 15 rather than an 18 (there's an awful lot of swearing and fairly violent moments), so I guess that they must have thought that the film had important messages on themes such as segregation - what with it being set in South Africa. It has to be said that it has a fantastic lead performance by Sharlto Copley as the fascist turned sympathetic/unlikely hero which aids the film no end. Did see a fairly noticeable frame skip moment (when watching the UK Blu-ray) but upon re-winding, saw that the disc's second counter was playing normally so it's just an authoring mistake rather than an actual disc fault. Despite that unfortunate short moment, I very much enjoyed re-watching this film.