View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2017, 04:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Deepwater Horizon (2016)

A dramatization of the April 2010 disaster, when the offshore drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded and created the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Playing almost like a docudrama, the film focuses on Mark Wahlberg's Chief Electronics Technician Mike Williams character as he says goodbye to his wife (Kate Hudson) and young daughter as he sets off for a 21 day stint on the offshore BP oil rig Deepwater Horizon. Once aboard the rig he meets up with rig supervisor Jimmy Harrell (Kurt Russell) and the BP managers, including John Malkovich. From here on it feels as if the viewer is simply listening in on conversations and meetings. We aren't told any exposition to propel the story along, it's happening right there as we watch. The BP company are weeks behind in their schedule and aren't listening to the rig crew when it comes to safety and testing. We aren't privy to a 101 in how a drilling test works, we either begin to process what is happening or we don't.

Trust me when i say although nothing explosive happens until the half way point it's still an interesting and highly informative ride, then come the fifty minute mark, shit really does blow up and we are thrust kicking and screaming (think mainly screaming) into perhaps the most intense disaster movie yet made. It's as gripping as any action thriller i can recall but the difference is that this actually happened and come the end i felt like i'd been thrown head first through the emotional wringer. 11 people were killed on the Deepwater Horizon as the fire raged for two days. Oil continued to pour for 87 further days destroying the seas of the Louisiana coastline and Gulf of Mexico.

Whilst the facts are on screen in front of you, i'll leave it to each individual to make up their own minds as to why this happened and if it could have been avoided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeepwaterHorizonPoster.jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)