View Single Post
Old 10th June 2017, 09:49 PM
Cult Addict

Island of Terror. 1966. Terence Fisher.

A scientist working on a cure for cancer inadvertently creates a new lifeform on a remote island off the Irish coast. When a body is found completely devoid of bone the local doctor enlists the help of emminent pathologist Dr.Brian Stanley (Peter Cushing). Seems the 'lifeform' is actually a predatory being capable of dissolving and draining all bone from its victim. This film was great and a perfect example of how a great director and cast and an excellent script can male even the daftest premise work. I'd read how the creature design was absurd but to be honest i don't think it was a problem. Given the context they were created in anything other than the most rudimentary design would have been silly. What is an issue is that they simply aren't that scary, these things have all the agility of a one legged tortoise yet there are numerous scenes where they manage to creep up on people and in case even climb a bloody tree. That said i still thought the film worked, the atmospheric setting and the sheer conviction of some wonderful players particularly the ever dependable Cushing, who just oozes class just carry it along wonderfully. For a pg there is also some grissly stuff here and there with a particularly nasty amputation. Island of Terror is great fun and well worth your time.