View Single Post
Old 29th July 2017, 10:53 PM
Cult Addict

Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children. Tim Burton. 2016.

When Florida teen Jacob's supposedly barmy grandfather Abe dies under (highly) mysterious circumstances he leaves behind a series of clues leading Jacob to set off for a remote island off the coast of Wales in search of the orphanage Abe was raised at. Only he arrives to find a derelict bombshell of a building and more mystery.
I wanted to say this is the best film Burton has knocked out in a while but to be fair double checking his filmography he hasn't really done anything i didn't like. Big Eyes was quite weak i thought but was still watchable and prior to that was Dark Shadows which i loved.
I think its more that he just slowed down some.
I've no idea how idea how this film compares to the source novel but i really enjoyed it. Its perfect Tim Burton material,a kind of Burtonised version of X Men with the in no way attractive Eva Green taking on the Professor Xavier role.
The cast of kids is impressive too in that there isn't a single irritating little bugger. I want to praise the level of imagination on show but to be fair for all i know it could be entirely down to Ransom Riggs the author of the novel.
Very dark and somewhat creepy in places Miss Peregrine is well worth a watch and almost essential for Burton fans.