View Single Post
Old 4th August 2017, 05:41 AM
Cult Don

Because I came up with this weeks topic, I suppose I am duty bound to include a list!

My criteria (as always) is to only include titles that I have got. I have also avoided the 'Frankenstein family' (including Frankenhooker, Re-animator etc, altho I would have loved to include Tim Burton's Frankenweenie). I have also omitted films that only feature a character with a medical title (Dr. Strangelove, Dr. Who etc) and films that only have a fleeting moment or single scene set in a hospital

Therefore...

1: An American Werewolf In London - Not only the best modern werewolf film, but also the best chance of seeing Jenny Agutter in a nurse uniform. Add to this, the best 'dream-within-a-dream' sequence, and you get a classic film
2: Tootsie - Set in the fictional world of 'Southwest General'. The strange and ironic thing about this film is... a lot of the ideas about soap operas that were funny when the film was made (1982) have since cropped up in more 'serious' soaps
3: Carry On Matron - There are so many 'Carry On' films that are set within this environment, which one to choose? At the end of the day, Kenneth Cope as Cyrille and the 'bus timetable' sequence make this one of the best
4: Little Shop Of Horrors (1986) - Steve Martin as the dentist and Bill Murray as the patient. Granted, this is a fleeting moment, but the dentist character is used a lot in the movie. He even gets his own song!
5: Johnny Got His Gun - Based on the Metallica song 'One', this anti-war movie is extremely powerful.
6: Coffy - Hey, Pam Grier as a nurse!
7: Pin - Pin is a life-size, anatomically correct medical dummy used by Dr. Linden to teach his children about reproduction and bodily functions. But what if Pin is actually alive, and he tells someone to kill?
8: A Stitch In Time - Norman Pitkin and Mr. Grimsdale in a children's hospital. What could possibly go wrong?
9: X-Ray - Another psycho killer in a hospital!
10: Normal Again - Episode 17 of the 6th series of 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'. After being infected by a demon's hallucinogenic venom, Buffy believes that her implausible and nightmarish life as vampire slayer has actually been her own elaborate hallucination as a mental patient, catatonic in a hospital for the past six years. The episode plays out as her 'normal' life in the hospital is contrasted with her 'fantasy' life in Sunnydale. Personally, I think this episode should have been the very last one of the entire series, raising the question 'was it all real, or was it a fantasy?', but I suppose some people would have cried foul at this concept, and been angry that they had 'wasted the last 7 years of their lives'!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty