View Single Post
Old 16th August 2017, 07:24 AM
Cult Addict

Atomic blonde

Very much style over substance. That said I really liked the style so I was entertained. It's got a very 80's aesthetic with neon lighting soaking interior scenes. The soundtrack is amazing and the fight scenes are as well executed as everyone says. There's also a bit of 'girl on girl' so there's that going for it well. Its somewhat mis sold by the trailers as its more a throwback to cold war spy thrillers than full blown action flick and here's where it stumbles. The actual plot is not as smart as the writers think. Its reliant on an 'unreliable narrator' structure that means the twist is fairly easy to work out. The ending might be debatable but I'm not going to spoil it all. It's worth seeing. Certainly if your cinema is £4.99 a ticket like mine or you have one of those monthly passes. Its not worth it for £10-£20 theatres though. Also keep an eye out for a fight scene in a cinema taking place with Tarkovsky's stalker playing in the background.

Annabelle creation

The first Annabelle was crap. Sorry if there's anyone who liked it but it f=was terribly flat and over-reliant on jump scares over any sort of atmosphere or suspense. While not perfect, creation is a step in the right direction. There's still the standard quiet...quiet....SUDDEN NOISE!. There is however, also an attempt to generate suspense and a sense of dread. There's also some genuinely creepy imagery as well. If your not a fan of the conjuring films your still probably not going to be sold on this, however if you did like them this one is more like them than the first.