View Single Post
Old 20th August 2017, 10:29 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Over the past few weeks I've watched the three series of The Royle Family, a show which I thought would have aged quite badly, but I was surprised that it hasn't and, even though the shows they watch during the episodes are (mostly) no longer aired, mobile phones have come a long way and such things as the Ali G impressions are dated, the humour and warmth is there in abundance. It's a testament to the writing by Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash that the observational comedy is so spot on and several people I've spoken to know families like that or, to their embarrassment and horror, are even part of them!

The ensemble cast is absolutely brilliant, including Aherne and Cash, but with Ricky Tomlinson wonderful as the patriarch and Sue Johnson as his long-suffering, but very loving, wife. It's quite funny to see Sheridan Smith, who is now a highly respected stage actress, in the small role of Antony's girlfriend, Emma, who is the subject of humour because none of those in the titular family quite understand her vegetarianism, thinking it's fine to serve her (and her family) turkey sandwiches because they can remove the filling!

There are so many wonderful moments throughout the three series including Jim and Twiggy stripping wallpaper, with one using a fish slice, to Mambo No. 5, Nana explaining how she doesn't drink apart from a bottle of stout every night, sherry at Christmas, Whisky at Christmas, and champagne at weddings, and the "Oooh" responses to seemingly mundane information, such as someone having steak and kidney pie for dinner and the fact it was shop bought not home-made.

I'd forgotten what an endearing show it is and am very glad I picked up the three series, plus the Queen of Sheba special which I'll watch tonight, for a total of £3.98 from Music Magpie.