View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2017, 01:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Some from the last few days. No surprises with Star Trek, although Search for Spock was more enjoyable than I was expecting, I might have a soft spot for it because it's the first one that I remember watching as a child.

28 Days Later is 15 years old! It only seems like yesterday that I saw it at cinemas. The choice to film this on digital before the format had reached its potential has aged the movie more than it would have done otherwise.

Tokyo Mighty Guy is the first film on the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys vol 2 set, it took me by surprise as it's nothing like the films on the first volume. This one is a frothy teen comedy/musical in much the same style as an Elvis movie. Once I figured out what it was I really enjoyed it. I good blend on 60s pop music and Yakuza street fighting.

Finally I was pretty disappointed by Just Before Dawn. A lot of the reviews really rave about it and really appreciate it as a 2nd (or 3rd) tier slasher. I found it really boring and there was no tension at all. My favourite bit was hearing Blondie's Heart of Glass on the camper van's stereo near the beginning... The 88 Films disc looked pretty good though, so that's a bonus if you're a fan.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky