View Single Post
Old 27th August 2017, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That said, two characters walking into a Goth bar where a thrash metal band is playing on the stage and the subtitles say "(HEAVY METAL MUSIC)" seems to be superfluous information because you can see music is being played and will be 99% sure what the music it is without the subtitle providing that information.
Yes, it's always a judgement call, but my own judgement is not to add a subtitle if it's visually obvious what's happening. For instance, I've just watched a chunk of Fragment of Fear where David Hemmings drives home, gets out of the car, shuts its door, goes inside and makes a phone call. Since it was perfectly clear what was happening, I didn't subtitle any of this - but of course there might be a case for it if anything wasn't visible.

For instance, I did add "(DIALS NUMBER)" in a scene in a phone box in See No Evil because you could only see the character from the neck up and there's a potential narrative reason why he might have chosen merely to stand in the phone box in a way that's visible to the other characters while not actually ringing anybody, so it was important to make that clear.

And similarly, when I was subtitling Drunken Master earlier this year, obviously subtitling every single "(THWACK)" would have been absolutely gibberingly mental, but I did think it was important to mention unusually emphatic thwacks, such as the first appearance of Hwang Jang Lee's double kick. Technically, it's obvious what's going on just by watching it, but it's the sound that really makes it clear that it was most likely fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Going back to the post which started this conversation, for what reasons would somebody who does not have a great understanding of French need to know that a shop provides supplies for tailors? It's been a while since I saw Ronin and might be wrong, but I don't think it is of any significance.
I didn't work on that release and haven't seen it, so can't comment. Sorry!

I just got involved because people were querying the need for things like "(SPEAKING IN SPANISH)", which to me have an obvious function in a hard-of-hearing context.