View Single Post
Old 28th August 2017, 11:08 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Circle. Emma Watson (yay!) is a struggling young woman whose best friend (Karen Gillan, yay!) gets her a job at a massive tech company known as The Circle, which is obsessed with connecting everything online and having the whole world, and everyone it, always under observation. Grateful and overawed at everything around her, Emma well and truly drinks the Kool-Aid, to the extent of agreeing to be "observed" basically all day, every day, and rapidly rises within the company to gain the ear of its founders (Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt). But her involvement with the company gradually begins to erode at her friendships and family, and ultimately results in tragedy... This high-tech drama/thriller seems to have been widely panned, though I've no idea why, to be honest. It's well acted by all, certainly benefiting from the presence and charisma of Watson, Hanks and Gillan, and as an introverted anti-social git who hates social media anyway, I found it all very creepy and disturbing. It's also rather unsettling that both Watson's screen parents here, Bill Paxton and Glenne Headly, died between shooting and release. A solid flick.
I'm glad you liked it iank. When you first expressed interest in seeing it i thought you'd be quite disappointed. I thought it was ultimately a very empty film and the way Hermione just falls hook line and sinker somewhat diminished any sense of the sinister it may otherwise have had. Also the severe lack of lesbian sex scenes featuring Watson and Gillan just finished the film in my eyes. [emoji57]