View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2017, 05:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I completely understand what you're saying, because just as with anything, shock value quickly wears off and turns to irritation. Imagine if someone is standing in your room popping balloons. The first couple of times might cause you to jump, but you're likely to want to punch them in the face shortly thereafter.

Similarly, you can have some great films which will make children laugh from beginning to end because they have a balanced output and others which are slapstick or fart jokes from beginning to end, and they become grating in two minutes.

I don't find Chubby Brown funny. Some of his gags can be amusing, but most of what I've seen/heard (some of them were on audio tape when I was a teenager) was offensive in its crudity, and Sex Lives of the Potato Men seemed to fit into this category of 'humour'.

In terms of the funding, the UK Film Council, who I think put up much (if not all) of the money, could have spent the money by funding (in whole or part) a film by Mike Leigh, Morgan Matthews, Ken Loach, Debbie Tucker Green, Shane Meadows, Yann Demange or someone completely unknown, making the next Dead Man's Shoes, '71, X+Y, Kes, Second Coming or Secrets and Lies instead.