View Single Post
Old 24th September 2017, 06:37 AM
Cult Don

"An issue of the University of Maine's student newspaper [January 15, 1970 - Vol. 78, No. 15, ] from Stephen King's senior year at the university. King is listed on the masthead as a "Columnist" and his column, 'King's garbage truck' is included in this issue. Also, the cover illustration is a now-famous photograph of a long-haired Stephen King with a crazed expression on his face, a double-barreled shotgun pointed at the reader, and the caption exhortation 'Study, Dammit!!'

This is identified as 'a public service poster from the makers of: the Maine campus. King's column, interestingly, purports to be his Last Will and Testament (a not-unusual conceit for graduating seniors) and among his bequests are the following: 'To Norman Mailer, Philip Roth, and John Updike, I bequeath the hope that they will eventually learn to write like me' and 'To all my friends with long hair, weird clothes, and strange jewelry, I bequeath the reminder that all of that doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't grow it on the inside as well.'

Many others are included, almost all of them giving insight into King's values during these formative years.

An extremely early Stephen King appearance in print and possibly the first published photograph of him - certainly the first time his image appeared on a 'poster.'"

Another article from a later edition of the publication [1974] which reports on his success, and the fact that the rights to his first full length book, 'Carrie', have been bought by Doubleday and is expected to be published early in 1975!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty