View Single Post
Old 11th October 2017, 12:57 PM
Cult Addict

The Psychic (seven notes in black) - Lucio Fulci

the-psychic-1977.jpg

Another Fulci i hadn't seen before.

Like the other Fulci films i reviewed the other day this also shows what a decent little director he was when he wasn't wallowing in gore.

This little number is about a woman who has Psychic visions that lead her into a mystery surrounding the death of a young woman who died in the house she is going to renovate, leading her to discovering a corpse that has been interred in the walls of the house.
But all is not as it seems and she finds there is more to her visions than she originally thought.

MV5BNDFkNzAwNTctZDMzZC00ZDg1LThmZDktYzA4ZTU0ZmQ3ZWMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Interior decorating Fulci style.

i enjoyed this and it once again shows Fulci didn't always have to rely on gore to make a decent film. This is well shot and constructed and the storyline was very linear and resolved itself in a satisfying way.

The film begins with a clifftop suicide that recalls 'don't torture a duckling' with it's face smashing into a cliff dummy descent, but that's about the goriest scene in the film.

I watched this on youtube due to the high cost of the dvd these days, so the picture quality wasn't amazing.

The film does drag a little in the middle but makes up for it with a tense finale and the theme tune is great. It's obvious that he was into Poe as this plays with the themes of 'The Black cat' and he would make a film with the same title a few years later.

So a decent enough Giallo film that is recommended and should be more widely available, i'm sure seeing a better quality version would bump the rating up slightly.

7/10

vlcsnap-2009-10-04-11h00m26s129.jpg

"The eyes!!"

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.