View Single Post
Old 20th November 2017, 07:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Punisher

I've watched the whole series and whilst excellent it wallows in mean and mood for far too long and one episode has no violence!

However...

The interjection of liberal politics in a programme that starts with an all out gun fetish opening sequence is pretty funny though.
Really? I thought it was quite nuanced.

The Punisher is Dealing with a thorny issue in regards to what a country does about the thousands of men coming back from a warzone damaged. Some physically and some mentally. The gun control debate that cropped up in one episode gave both sides a good airing and didn't pick one. Somewhat refreshing imo than some of the preachiness of some shows. My biggest annoyance with this came from Bones which started crowbarring in Fox news talking points in the middle of episodes. No looking at both sides just 'this is what you must belive'.

As for the Punisher itself I thought it was good. It felt a little like a 9 episode story stretched over 12 episodes but Its still the most coherent and intelligent attempt to put the Punisher into live action. I think people were expecting perhaps more Garth Ennis when instead we got more Chuck Dixon with a little ennis thrown in. I'm fairly certain I know where season 2 is going and I think that's where we'll see the Punisher really go off the deep end.