View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Ha ha... yeah, I noticed you didn't really like 'The Vault', which is a shame as I still feel it's a lean, nicely done 'mainstream pot-boiler' that manages to entertain pretty well... one thing I get from your reviews is that you place quite high importance on characters being likeable or at least relatable in some way, whereas I don't care about that kind of thing at all when it comes to horror films, it's all just atmospheres, images, feelings, ideas - I wouldn't apply the same criteria to a Mike Leigh film, but there you go, a difference in approach. Whether that will make 'Tonight She Comes' more or less of a prospect for you I'm not sure (as it happens, I found the characters in it to be quite annoying), but for me it definitely delivers the goods as far as splattery throw-back horror goes... then again, I quite liked The Void', too.
I do tend to find that i need to be able to root for someone or at least find them interesting in some way. The Vault failed on both accounts for me. It's biggest crime was the clunkiness in which it dealt with the ghostly apparitions - cue strobe lighting and silly OTT music. Splattery throwback horror also works for me. Nothing wrong with a lot of violence and bloodshed on screen - again The Vault had none of this either. James Franco, Clint's girl, Tarryn Manning... i was expecting something better.