View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2018, 07:39 AM
Cult Don

Top ten Alfred Hitchcock films. As always, they are titles I have in my collection:
  • 1: Frenzy (1972) - Probably the most violent Hitch ever got, 'Frenzy' is his latter day masterpiece. Containing 'the usual suspects' - innocent man on the run, suave murderer, delicious black humour, I don't think The Master got any better than this
  • 2: North By Northwest (1957) - Highly entertaining chase caper. Again, all elements of traditional Hitchcock films are included and Cary Grant has never been better. Add to the mix a number of instantly recognizable set-pieces (crop dusting, Mount Rushmore) and you have a classic
  • 3: The Lady Vanishes (1938) - Forget the re-makes, this is the bet one. A plot as old as the hills (a person disappears, but no-one seems to remember them being there, other than the hero) is made into something eminently watchable by someone who knows what they are doing! Plus, we get the typically English, cricket-loving Charters and Caldicott)
  • 4: Rope (1948) - Stagey and static it might be, but as an audacious film-making experiment, it's a hit. Shot in seemingly one continuous take, the film is constantly interesting, making the film buff viewer marvel at the technical aspects that make the movie work. Maybe other directors could have done it, but possibly not as well as Hitch does
  • 5: Psycho (1960) - Has to be included. No other film has been examined, parodied, re-made, ripped-off, been paid homaged to as much as this one
  • 6: Rear Window (1954) - The ultimate voyeur film. Like 'Rope', it's amazing such an entertaining film could have been made, using effectively one studio set [see also 'Lifeboat']
  • 7: The Birds (1963) - Although it's rarely mentioned, this film must have been an influence on Romero for 'Night Of The Living Dead'. It raises more questions than it answers (Why are the birds attacking? Why do they seem to be targeting Tippi Hedron? What actually happens when they leave the house at the end?) but you forget about these because it's such a good film
  • 8: Rebecca (1940) - I went into this one expecting very little, but left being pleasantly surprised. Twisty and turny
  • 9: Strangers On A Train (1951)
  • 10: The Thirty-Nine Steps (1935) - Quintessential Hitchcock

Bonus 5: The best Hitchcock films that Hitchcock didn't make
  • Charade (1963) - jJyfully entertaining ride with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant is not to be missed. This mysterious tale of a murdered husband, missing gold and the rogue C.I.A. agents who think Audrey Hepburn has it is as perfect a Hitchcock film as one can watch without The Master having anything to do with its creation
  • Les Diabolique (1955) - It's no secret that Hitchcock was interested in gaining the rights to the novel this was based on, but he was pipped at the post by Henri-Georges Clouzot. Hitch went on to make 'Psycho' instead, but I can't help thinking that if he had got this film, it would have been his masterpiece instead
  • Wait Until Dark (1967) - Most of the film is shot within this basement apartment unit. And this thriller is so great because Audrey Hepburn being blind enable the three bad guys freely walking into her unit and introducing themselves as her husband's friends, or police, or some neighbour. But they all forget one thing: She uses her ears like no regular person does, she doesn't need eyes. But that is where the thriller kicks in. Sometimes it is pretty painful for us to watch (us who can see) because she seems so vulnerable. The slow, intricate developments are fascinating to watch but most importantly, lead to a climatic ending reaching Hitchcock levels of suspense. As the title of the film suggests, you really have to wait until dark to fully appreciate how well made this film is.
  • The Vanishing (1988) - The original version, of course! One of the most taut and terrifying suspense thrillers ever created which never leave the audience questioning who the kidnapper is. Right from the start, we are shown his story as well as the story of the innocent parties. The more we know about him, the more mysterious he becomes
  • Peeping Tom (1960) - Again, the main themes of voyeurism, obsession, and murder would have made this a great Hitchcock film. Maybe it wouldn't have had such a sleazy atmosphere and feeling, but I don't think it would have been any glossier

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty