Old 10th April 2018, 12:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
No, I'm not taking the p*ss, it was a serious question

For me, the original 'Friday 13th' is so over the top and gratuitous, it has to be a spoof of a horror film. The same goes with with Raimi's 'Evil Dead', Bava's 'Demons' and Jackson's 'Bad Taste'/'Braindead'

Meanwhile, I look upon 'Rocky Horror' is a parody of 1950's science fiction films, 'This Is Spinal Tap' is a parody of Pennebaker's 'Don't Look Back' and 'Moonraker' wouldn't exist without 'Star Wars'
Friday the 13th, Evil Dead and Demons are 'serious' horror films. Bad Taste and Braindead fit into the comedy-horror category. Murray Might not exist without Star Wars, but it is not a Star Wars parody in the same way as Galaxina or Spaceballs are. This Is Spinal Tap and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are, as you say, parody films because they are pastiches of rock documentaries and sci-fi/horror B-movies, respectively.

When you're considering what films you'd put on your list, think whether they are spoofing a genre or specific film/series of films, whether the central character is a parody of another film character or series of character tropes.

Does that make sense?