View Single Post
Old 15th April 2018, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
It's so much worse than I ever expected it to be and I went int expecting the worst. It's truly atrocious.
I've found with a lot of films the initial enjoyment of seeing a film on the big screen disappates when you see it at home. I've avoided home cinema screenings of Blade Runner 2049 so far as part of the enjoyment for me was seeing it on a huge screen. Other stuff like star wars... well they were never really that great to begin with but made good popcorn fodder at a multiplex. Seeing them on the small screen misses the point entirely for me. (Though force awakens turned out to be watchable to my great surprise)

Speaking of which.....

Rampage

Complaining Rampage is stupid is like complaining water is wet. It's an adaptation of a vintage arcade game where the whole point was to play as one of three giant monsters trashing a city. It's a thin premise at best and video game adaptations are often problematic at best when turned into films. So Yes, rampage is dumber than Donald Trump on a Twitter rampage after another bout of senile dementia. It's completely stupid from beginning to end with two dimensional characterisation, especially the main villains and misplaced meta humour that falls flat on its arse.

But goddamn it was fun.

We get Jeffrey Dean Morgan chewing scenery and grinning like a hyena on ecstasy. The rock playing a sensitive guy who could pull your arms off and a bunch of other forgettable characters there to serve the plot. It may be the big screen, a saving grace for many a popcorn potboiler in the past. But the film seems to be at least aware it's dumb and plays to it's strength with plenty of monster mash action and shit getting wrecked.
I cannot vouch for it on a home cinema setup but theatrically it's a definite guilty pleasure.