View Single Post
Old 18th May 2018, 09:33 PM
Cult Addict

Punishment park.

61sDZCe8TaL._SX342_.jpg

Interesting film shot in a documentary style, supposedly set in the future where
freedom of speech and radical and revolutionary behaviour is outlawed.
Although the hair and clothes sets this film firmly in the early 70's this is not a problem as it's the idea's that count.

First we have a small court of straights interrogating the free thinkers, so this really comes across as a plea for intelligence, thoughtful discussion and acceptance of diversity.

But all the while the straights are showing their disproval and ignorance, then the court sentences the defendants to prison sentences.

At the same time they give them the option to choose Punishment park instead, which is basically a trek across the desert with no food or drink, if they arrive at their destination (an American flag) they can go free.
But that's not all, they will be pursued by police officers and army men as part of their training, who are supposed to bring the offenders in without violence if they are caught and surrender.

Obviously this doesn't go according to plan and the offenders are slowly hunted and killed by their pursuers.

I thought this was a very interesting and absorbing film, that is really a thinly disguised snap shot of late 60's/early 70's free thinkers and hippies ideals, and a cry for tolerance and acceptance.
And also an attempt by the filmmakers to show how corrupt and distorted the government and ruling societies values were at the time.(cough)

It's a well made and relevant film, but i can't really say it was a fun watch.

8/10

Vampire Ecstasy

s-l300 (2).jpg

Basically this is an attempt by American smut peddler Joe Sarno to make a Rollin style Euro nude vampire film.

The story doesn't really make much sense, something about resurrecting a vampire by a cult of witches ( i guess ) who spend a lot of time larking about in a castles dungeon dancing in the buff, erotically fondling penis shaped candles and inserting an uncomfortably large looking stone dildo into each other.

It sounds a bit Franco too writing the details down but this isn't all that explicit in it's details, just has a lot of nudity and the odd bit of hairy muff.

As the story was practically non existent and it was lacking in gory details it's a hard film to recommend.

Having said that i enjoyed it.

If there was some more blood and vampirism in the film it could have been a much more entertaining and satisfying experience , the women were on the whole do able enough in that 70's style and the use of a real castle gave it some nice atmospheric touches.

Also the accents were quite hilarious at points in that Udo Kier "Wampire" style.

Like i said i did enjoy it, but can't find it in my heart to rate it any higher due to it's various shortcomings. (ooh-er misses)

6/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.