View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched Turn Left, The Stolen Earth and Journey's End last night.

We get nothing nowadays that comes close to those three episodes. Watching those three made this new series feel like Luke in the Tatooine deserts gazing into the night sky dreaming of better things .

Threat, action, great characters, tension, spine tingling moments....

If only.
Jesus was that really a decade ago? I remember being in P6, my mum having bought me Destiny/Resurrection/Revelation/Rememberance of the Daleks (I'd already seen Genesis). Having seen those new ones whilst also refreshing my memory of Genesis, I was hyped up for the 2008 trilogy. The return of Rose, Davros finally making a modern appearance, the red Dalek Supreme (light years ahead of the newer Matt Smith ones in terms of look)

They were the days... It wasn't just the fact that the new ones were coming out, it was also the combination of the old ones, most of which I hadn't seen, which truly made it my own personal "Dalekmania".

The only other times I ever felt this excited for Doctor Who afterwards was when Enemy and Web returned to the BBC. I was excited for the 50th, but I watched Enemy beforehand for the first time and it blew The Day of the Doctor away. Likewise I loved The Web of Fear the following February (I had, based on Episode 1 and the recon, convinced myself that it would be the greatest Story ever made in the build up. It wasn't but it was still a masterpiece, especially Episode 4).

The Peter Capaldi Season finale was the other. Two Masters, classic cybermen... Amazing.

But I wonder (bar the return of an old Episode/s... Come one Phil give us Marco Polo!), will I ever feel that excited again? If the last six episodes are anything to go by then probably not