View Single Post
Old 11th May 2019, 08:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Return to Devil's End (1993)

Four of the cast of the 1971 Doctor Who story The Daemons plus director Christopher Barry, return to the picturesque village of Aldbourne for a reunion and discuss this classic story.

Highly recommended if you are a fan of Jon Pertwee era Doctor Who. Pertwee, Nick Courtney, Richard Franklin, balmy John Levene and Barry all clearly had a blast making this.

Also in this three disc set is the new drama White Witch of Devil's End (2017) in which Damaris Hayman reprises her role of white witch Olive Hawthorne from The Daemons.

It's six episodes long (I've watched four) and is told story teller style by Hawthorne. Think Christopher Lee's Ghost Stories for Christmas series and you won't be far out, but these tales have more additional filmed footage as well.

In truth i don't actually like the character of Olive Hawthorne, i never have done, i've always felt Hayman sounded just too stuck up for her own good, but she's not too bad here and a couple of the stories (Run for twenty minutes each by the way) have a delightfully creepy atmosphere.
My favourite role of hers has always been the old woman in One Foot in the Grave who's selling her husband's new shoes because "he's just died". Victor goes round and finds his corpse still wearing them!