View Single Post
Old 11th May 2019, 08:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Scream of Fear (aka Taste of Fear) (1961)

Or if you prefer Taste of Fear, this is the first in Hammers psychological thriller films,and the secound directed by Seth Holt for Hammer who also did the psycho-biddy film The Nanny (1965) (he apparently died while making Blood from the Mummy's Tomb,and it was finished by Michael Carreras.).Any how Penny Appleby (Susan Strasberg) returns to meet her father on the French Riviera only to met by her stepmother played by Ann Todd as Jane Appleby and the chauffeur (Ronald Lewis)...So where is her father? and why does his body keep popping up in the most un-expected places..it has everything the psychological horror film is famous for,a helpless neurotic heroine, double crossing family members,an inheritance in the offing and just the general air and feeling that everyone seems to be hiding a secret or that there not to be trusted..Christopher Lee as Doctor Gerrard appears as the family doctor,who again is one of those characters were not quite sure,is he to be trusted or not,but saying that its a fairly small part,but its always nice to see Mr Lee in a non vampire roll,even if his french accent is slightly off. All in all a very enjoyable thriller and I remember when I first saw the film many years ago I was surprised by the plot twist at the end,and i still find it very effective even today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scream_of_fear_poster_02.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 11th May 2019 at 09:17 PM.