View Single Post
Old 16th May 2019, 09:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default house of demons

A double dose of monsters in the basement and lipsticks in the nipple, not necessarily at the same time or in the same movie..Say what you like about estate agents..(and anybody who has bought a house may well do) .but if they can sell the Freudstein house then they can sell anything..Tombstone in the living room, no problem, rotting corpses in the basement..meh just get an air freshener. Son has a high pitched squeaky voice, try hitting him with an axe. Still, at least the estate agent gets her commupence, although an online rating from the customer may have been more preferable to a stabbing with a metal poker, but you get my point. House by the Cemetery has the tag line Read the fine print. You may have just mortgaged your life!.which I'm sure in estate agent speak means you have bought a dilapidated shithole with a pile of rotting corpses mounting in your cellar. It all makes no sense what so ever. Still, I don't care, it has bats, gore and maggot infested tenant down below, I still find House an interesting but at times gruelling film, I mean apart from Bob's dubbing there are not too many laughs to be had and the violence is fairly unrelenting..
Night of the Demons (1988) tries very hard to be a sort of a cross between Raimi's Evil Dead and O Bannon Return of the Living dead, although they only manage to muster one track by Bauhaus "Stigmata Martyr", as a nod to its goth female lead. The problem being with Night is that there is not a sympathetic character to root for in the whole cast, they're all pretty much whiny and obnoxious individuals, so you are not really bothered which one gets killed and brought back as a demon. But on the other hand, we do have Linnea Quigley as Suzanne in her underwear, and like Return Of The Living Dead she does manage to steal the show, It's hard not to forget the lipstick scene or her wiggling her bottom...There are a few cool gore scenes, an evil dead inspired eye gouging and the rather unexpected ending, which involves the local curmudgeon putting razor blades in apples for the trick or treaters only for the joke to backfire when his wife makes an apple pie out of them. Night of the Demons has its moments but it never really fulfils its potential as an Evil Dead rip off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house_by_cemetery_poster_01.jpg (104.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg noftd.jpg (96.0 KB, 4 views)