View Single Post
Old 31st January 2010, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Hanging Woman

I've been trying to sit down and watch this for ages now and finally achieved it! Two things to cover there, the film and the presentation:

1. It's a wonderful film - cheesy Gothic of the highest (lowest?) order. Insanely plotted with a great ambience, some of the acting is a little creaky, but the characters are pretty well developed. I heartily enjoyed it. I was particularly impressed with Paul Naschy as a necrophiliac gravedigger for the simple reason that he looked like me! It was, at times, a bit disconcerting, it was like seeing myself a few years ago on the screen!

2. Troma's disk raises some issues for someone as anal about film presentation as I am. IMDb claims that the film was presented in Widescreen ie 1.85:1, and many folk online have bemoaned that Troma offer a full-screen rendering. However, the framing looks absolutely fine throughout at 4:3, shots have clearly been composed for the Academy ratio. Further more, zooming in to 1.85:1/16:9 seems to work really rather well. I presume this is an unmatted print and that very little video information has been cropped from the sides. Bearing in mind where such a film was expected to be shown in 1973, I think it was intended to be shown with variable ratios to suit any kind of fleapit with dodgy equipment. Thus, I wouldn't be too het up about it being in 4:3, it works. More worrying is that it is clearly from a VHS (or dodgy U-matic) master complete with grain and distortion to the picture early on. Matters improve as the film progresses, though.

I think this is a film worth seeing if such things are your bag, and I suspect Troma have done the best they could. So, snap it up!