View Single Post
Old 9th July 2019, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Now watching my favourite episode of season 10 of the classic series.
I think it's a very enjoyable season, one of Pertwee's best. Carnival of Monsters is a great idea and Planet of the Daleks is perfect comfort Doctor Who.

Frontier in Space is another example of Malcolm Hulke at his best. IMO, he has never written a bad Story, including Colony in Space. He's really one of very few major writers (major writers being ones that have written at least three or more Stories) that can equal or even surpass Robert Holmes: as good as Holmes was (and he was brilliant, near unmatched at his best), he does have a few dodgy or below average Stories to his name, The Krotons, The Space Pirates... The Deadly Assassin (I know, I'm sorry). My one major regret with this Story is how the Delgardo Master doesn't get a good send off. Not that it was the production teams fault, as far as they were aware he would be coming back for Endgame, before his tragic accident.

The Green Death. A perfect Story. Perfect acting from the regulars and guest actors. And an emotional farewell to one of the best companions ever. I only ever cry to this and the departures of Adric and Rose. Last time I watched it was no different. Before the Doctor drives off, he pauses for a second. You can see how he feels based on the face he's making. He's thinking, 'Its done. After the next Season, I'm leaving, its done. Roger's dead, Katy has now left, UNIT are becoming far less frequent and now Barry and Terrence have said they're leaving, so there's nothing left for me now.' A flawless scene and emotional as hell. He used what was going on behind the scenes to add to his performance and was able to carry on that performance into Season 11 perfectly. He's still the 3rd Doctor, but definitely toned down. That's a testament to Pertwee's solid skills as a great actor.

And I can't forget about The Three Doctors. It was lovely to see Patrick Troughton again and see Hartnell's long acting career come to and end with the part he loved. Best parts are when Pertwee and Troughton are onscreen with each other.