View Single Post
Old 1st February 2010, 12:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Recent viewings:

Cinema:

Sherlock Holmes – Great fun
The Road - very good, very bleak, but hampered by what I think is a very weak ending
44 Inch Chest – way better than the reviews would suggest. Yes it's stagey but it's also well written and brilliantly acted by a great ensemble.
Up In The Air – best film I've seen in the cinema for some time. This is a great flick.
Edge of Darkness – still not seen Martin Campbell's original mini series (though I've had the DVD release for eons) this big screen translation is a good, gritty and quite compelling conspiracy thriller. Not brilliant but well worth watching.

DVD:

Into The Night – Had never seen this John Landis-directed comedy/thriller. Very entertaining though not a classic by any stretch of the imagination.

Blu-ray

Antichrist – still undecided on what to make of this. It's definitely a brilliantly crafted film and is by turns dramatic, thrilling and downright squirm-inducing. Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg are both brilliant too. Just fely a little bludgeoned by all the heavy-handed symbolism, but I'm sure that was Von Trier's point.
Suspiria – talked about this in the film-specific thread. Great transfer that really does justice to this marvel of artistic filmmaking.
Gamer – daft but very fun. Wasn't expecting to like this one at all, so I was pleasantly surprised.
A Perfect Getaway – nice, twisty survival thriller from David Twohy. Well worth watching.
Wake In Fright – brilliant, supposedly lost film from Australia in the 70s. Very well made (by Ted Kotcheff who would go on to direct First Blood), featuring great performances from lead Gary Bond and Donald Pleasance. Beware: there is some extremely troubling animal cruelty in this film.