View Single Post
Old 10th August 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Fright (1971)

If your a baby sitter, and you end up in some gothic house that has seen better days, dark corners, dank wallpaper and endless banging water pipes, then you could not be blamed for feeling apprehensive, also if the the couple you are baby sitting for, in this case Honor Blackman and George Cole, are complete nervous wrecks from the first time you meet them, then you probably have good cause to feel slightly anxious...And if your Susan George, then I would check your calendar just to make sure your not baby sitting towards the end of October...Also be on the look out for any boy friends popping round for sex,in the shape of Dennis Waterman, but most of all make sure the family you are baby sitting for do not have any dark secrets from there past that might come back, like an ex husband in the form of Ian Bannen...And while it does not have the high body count of your modern slasher film,( I still think Dennis Waterman getting pummelled in the face, quite a nasty little scene ) it still posses all the traits you come to expect with the genre., just set in the leafy confines of middle class England in the 1970s.Its a great psychological thriller, only hampered by some rather wooden acting,(yes I'm looking at you Cole and Blackman, check out there groovy dancing in the restaurant ,also check out the wallpaper in said place) but Bannen is remarkable as the unstable ex husband, going gleefully maniacal with a shard of broken glass and Susan George who was probably filling in for Suzy Kendall while she was in Italy, is the proto type scream queen, long before the term was ever invented. Strangely the police seem to go all Rambo, cracking out the tear gas ,guns and ammunition even before they get to any hostage negotiations, any how the police manage to screw it all up,(no surprises there then)…This was a late night TV staple back in the day, and still entertaining...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fright.jpg (97.5 KB, 6 views)