View Single Post
Old 30th August 2019, 05:29 AM
Cult Don

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Blink
The Doctor: Welcome.
Billy: Where am I?
The Doctor: 1969. Not bad, as it goes. You've got the moon landing to look forward to.
Martha: Oh, the moon landing's brilliant. We went four times, back when we had transport.
The Doctor: Working on it.
Billy: How did I get here?
The Doctor: The same way we did. The touch of an angel. Same one, probably, since you ended up in the same year. No, no. No, no, no, don't get up. Time travel without a capsule. Nasty. Catch your breath. Don't go swimming for half an hour.
Billy: I don't. I can't.
The Doctor: Fascinating race, the Weeping Angels. The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess, no fuss, they just zap you into the past and let you live to death. The rest of your life used up and blown away in the blink of an eye. You die in the past, and in the present they consume the energy of all the days you might have had. All your stolen moments. They're creatures of the abstract. They live off potential energy.
Billy: What in God's name are you talking about?
Martha: Trust me. Just nod when he stops for breath.
The Doctor: Tracked you down with this. This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces, whether you want it to or not, actually, so I've learned to stay away from hens. It's not pretty when they blow.
Billy: I don't understand. Where am I?
Martha: 1969, like he says.
The Doctor: Normally, I'd offer you a lift home, but somebody nicked my motor. So I need you to take a message to Sally Sparrow. And I'm sorry, Billy. I am very, very sorry. It's going to take you a while.

(Larry puts a DVD into his portable player.)
Larry: Okay, this is the one with the clearest sound. Slightly better picture quality on this one, but I don't know
Sally: It doesn't matter.
Larry: Okay. There he is.
Sally: The Doctor.
Larry: Who's the Doctor?
Sally: He's the Doctor.
The Doctor [on screen]: Yup. That's me.
Sally: Okay, that was scary.
Larry: No, it sounds like he's replying, but he always says that.
The Doctor [on screen]: Yes, I do.
Larry: And that.
The Doctor [on screen]: Yup. And this.
Sally: He can hear us. Oh, my God, you can really hear us?
Larry: Of course he can't hear us. Look, I've got a transcript. See? Everything he says. Yup, that's me. Yes, I do. Yup, and this. Next it's
The Doctor [on screen] + Larry: Are you going to read out the whole thing?
Larry: Sorry.
Sally: Who are you?
The Doctor: I'm a time traveller. Or I was. I'm stuck in 1969.
Martha [on screen]: We're stuck. All of space and time, he promised me. Now I've got a job in a shop. I've got to support him!
The Doctor [on screen]: Martha.
Martha [on screen]: Sorry.
Sally: I've seen this bit before.
The Doctor [on screen]: Quite possibly.
Sally: 1969, that's where you're talking from?
The Doctor [on screen]: Afraid so.
Sally: But you're replying to me. You can't know exactly what I'm going to say, forty years before I say it.
The Doctor [on screen]: Thirty eight.
Larry: I'm getting this down. I'm writing in your bits.
Sally: How? How is this possible? Tell me.
Larry: Not so fast.
The Doctor [on screen]: People don't understand time. It's not what you think it is.
Sally: Then what is it?
The Doctor [on screen]: Complicated.
Sally: Tell me.
The Doctor [on screen]: Very complicated.
Sally: I'm clever and I'm listening. And don't patronise me because people have died, and I'm not happy. Tell me.
The Doctor [on screen]: People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.
Sally: Yeah, I've seen this bit before. You said that sentence got away from you.
The Doctor [on screen]: It got away from me, yeah.
Sally: Next thing you're going to say is, well I can hear you.
The Doctor [on screen]: Well, I can hear you.
Sally: This isn't possible.
Larry: No. It's brilliant!
The Doctor [on screen]: Well, not hear you, exactly, but I know everything you're going to say.
Larry: Always gives me the shivers, that bit.
Sally: How can you know what I'm going to say?
The Doctor [on screen]: Look to your left.
(Where Larry is sitting on the floor, writing.)
Larry: What does he mean by look to your left? I've written tons about that on the forums. I think it's a political statement.
Sally: He means you. What are you doing?
Larry: I'm writing in your bits. That way I've got a complete transcript of the whole conversation. Wait until this hits the net. This will explode the egg forums.
The Doctor [on screen]: I've got a copy of the finished transcript. It's on my autocue.
Sally: How can you have a copy of the finished transcript? It's still being written.
The Doctor [on screen]: I told you. I'm a time traveller. I got it in the future.
Sally: Okay, let me get my head round this. You're reading aloud from a transcript of a conversation you're still having.
The Doctor [on screen]: Yeah. Wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey.
Sally: Never mind that. You can do shorthand?
Larry: So?
The Doctor [on screen]: What matters is, we can communicate. We have got big problems now. They have taken the blue box, haven't they? The angels have the phone box.
Larry: The angels have the phone box. That's my favourite, I've got it on a t-shirt.
Sally: What do you mean, angels? You mean those statue things?
The Doctor [on screen]: Creatures from another world.
Sally: But they're just statues.
The Doctor [on screen]: Only when you see them.
Sally: What does that mean?
The Doctor [on screen]: The lonely assassins, they used to be called. No one quite knows where they came from, but they're as old as the universe, or very nearly, and they have survived this long because they have the most perfect defence system ever evolved. They are quantum-locked. They don't exist when they're being observed. The moment they are seen by any other living creature, they freeze into rock. No choice. It's a fact of their biology. In the sight of any living thing, they literally turn to stone. And you can't kill a stone. Of course, a stone can't kill you either. But then you turn your head away, then you blink, and oh yes it can.
Sally: Don't take your eyes off that.
(There is an Angel close by.)
The Doctor [on screen]: That's why they cover their eyes. They're not weeping. They can't risk looking at each other. Their greatest asset is their greatest curse. They can never be seen. The loneliest creatures in the universe. And I'm sorry. I am very, very sorry. It's up to you now.
Sally: What am I supposed to do?
The Doctor [on screen]: The blue box, it's my time machine. There is a world of time energy in there they could feast on forever, but the damage they could do could switch off the sun. You have got to send it back to me.
Sally: How? How?
The Doctor [on screen]: And that's it, I'm afraid. There's no more from you on the transcript, that's the last I've got. I don't know what stopped you talking, but I can guess. They're coming. The angels are coming for you. But listen, your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty