View Single Post
Old 18th November 2019, 08:13 AM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"Hell Bent for Leather: Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict" by Seb Hunter - charity shop - £1.99

It seems that the author is a bit younger than me (I was born in '66, he was born in '71) and he comes from my basic area (I was Portsmouth, he was Winchester), so I am hoping that this a Nick Hornby-esque nostalgia trip about growing up addicted to heavy metal music with a lot of things and places that I can relate to and recognise!

Painful reading!

Full of glaring errors. Apparently:

* Motorhead's live album 'No Sleep Till Hammersmith' was recorded at Hammersmith Odeon. [It was recorded at Leeds and Newcastle. Hammersmith wasn't actually played on the tour]
* Motorhead's '1916' album is a concept album based around the first world war. [Other than the title track, there are no songs on the record about the war]
* Heavy metal bands in the 1980's didn't feature keyboards. [Um...Ozzy, Dio, Nocturnus, Rush, Queensryche etc]
* Eddie Clarke left Motorhead because of their recordings with Girlschool. [It was actually their dalliance with Wendy O'Williams that was the catalyst for the split]
* Kurt Cobain killed heavy metal
* Thrash metal is full of shouting, with no musical melody involved

He talks about the Monsters Of Rock festival at Donnington, and rates the bands performances from best to worst, even tho he admits that he had never attended the festival

Back to the charity shop it goes, but only because I don't have access to an open coal fire where I could burn it!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 18th November 2019 at 08:34 AM.