View Single Post
Old 16th February 2020, 06:50 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Hidden (1987) ★★★★

Quote:
When average, law-abiding citizens suddenly turn to a life of hedonistic behavior and violent crime, Detective Tom Beck (Michael Nouri) is tasked with helping young FBI agent Lloyd Gallagher (Kyle MacLachlan) determine the cause in this tense, sci-fi thriller.
This is a gem of a film, a movie which doesn't easily fit into a category because it's a body snatcher-type sci-fi/horror, a buddy cop action drama and with a few comedic elements. It's a film which shouldn't work and yet does, superbly.

The opening car chase with Chris Mulkey tearing around LA in a Ferrari, smashing through cars and even, just like in the Wayne's World 2 parody, a large glass pane and not caring who or what he runs over or through is really well choreographed and is both exciting and blackly comedic. From there, it slows down a bit before the action – usually shootouts – picks up at various intervals to great effect.

It's a very well cast film, with Kyle MacLachlan and Michael Nouri in the lead roles and contributions from the mentioned Chris Mulkey and character actors like Clu Gulager, Lin Shaye and William Boyett.

This was a blind buy, a film I hadn't seen before but one I bought solely because it was part of the Premium Collection, and I'm really glad it's been released. If it isn't a cult film, it should be!