View Single Post
Old 18th March 2020, 09:28 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Glory (1989) ★★★★

Quote:
Robert Gould Shaw leads the US Civil War’s first all-black volunteer company, fighting prejudices of both his own Union army and the Confederates.
The first time I saw this, several years ago, I thought Matthew Broderick was horribly miscast. Watching it again and paying greater attention to the opening text, I realise that the man he's playing is only supposed to be 25 years old and so would look out of place compared to those around him.

The film is beautifully shot by veteran cinematographer Freddie Francis, someone who fully deserved the Oscar he won, and the same credit must go to the sound, score, and all aspects of the art department. It's a film in which a great deal of care and attention has gone to the period detail and a soundstage which really emphasises the visuals and narrative.

It's a great story, one based on facts, and features powerful performances from Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Andre Braugher (someone probably now more famous for Brooklyn Nine-Nine!).

This is an important film about a part of the history of the United States which is kept alive through reenactments, place names, statues and the controversy about the extent to which some southern states honour the memory of those who fought in and led the Confederate army.

Edward Zwick does a commendable job with the huge cast making the battle sequences appropriately horrific and other scenes, particularly those which are responsibly power struggles between officers in the Union army, very intimate and engaging. It is a film which thoroughly engages the viewer all the way through to it moving ending. The 4K Ultra HD release has exceptional picture and sound quality – it doesn't look 30 years old!