View Single Post
Old 29th March 2020, 09:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default American Flyers, Student Bodies & New Jack City

This was Saturday's viewing

American Flyers

When Video Magic opened it's glorious doors in the mid 80's, one of my earliest memories was reading the magazine that the shop produced featuring what videos were released that month along with description and picture of the cover. The name American Flyers and it's cover gives me nostalgic memories of that time period. I never rented this film however and during the 90's heyday of shops like Woolworths, WH Smiths, Virgin Megastore, HMV & MVC, they never had the video available to buy nor did the DVD show up anywhere either. It's also a film that never appears on TV, not even one of those obscure Movie channels like Movies4Men or Talking Pictures. For a 1985 film starring Kevin Costner, I find it quite astonishing that it's completely of the radar. I did mange to find the DVD on Amazon (But I believe it was an import)

I must admit I thought it would be one of those films that would be been great in it's day but not as good in 2020 however other than a slow start, I found this to be a very entertaining movie. One which would be one of my all time favorites if I had watched it in the 80's.

Student Bodies

I recently moved into my new house early this year and I treated myself to a Blu Ray Player also considering 88 Films, Arrow and 101 Films were releasing films, I was interested in only on Blu Ray. I got this due to a sale 88 Films were running.

Even though I enjoyed the beginning, I felt that it started to drag at the end and considering it was 85 minutes long, that's not really a good thing. Maybe if I had seen it in the 80's, I might have fonder memories of this film.

New Jack City

This is one of my favorite films, I swear if this film was released today, it would be nominated for several Oscars especially for Wesley Snipes (Best Actor), Chris Rock (Best Supporting Actor), Mario Van Pebbles (Best Director) and Best Picture. Mind you it should've been up for the Oscars whether be it in 91 or 92

Even though Passenger 57 and Demolition Man are very entertaining movies, to come after New Jack City, Wesley Snipes film roles went into a different direction