View Single Post
Old 18th April 2020, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Flashdance (1983, Adrian Lyne)

What a feeling ..... of bewilderment and revulsion if I'm brutally honest. I am in half a mind to rewatch it ... just to be sure of what I witnessed.
A young girl struggles to make it on her own terms in a man's world. and it is a man's world this. Made by Mr surface sheen himself with the aid of a drug crazed pervert and Jerry Bruckheimer.
Like an endless stream of awful music videos strung together with dialogue that makes The Room seem Tarkovskyian in comparison
I'm sure I heard them say she was 18? So the fact that she's an old hand at dancing in some bar seems to just be a thing, legality be damned. That's cocaine for you though, it makes you seem invincible cough. In fact the whole thing screams cocaine. From the jittery, genre jumping jamboree of the ST to the epilepsy inducing "pierrot" sequence (ouch), it's redolent of the essentially empty experience of taking cocaine ahem.
Yet again, this was successful? Times have changed as female emancipation is ... not an issue here. The so called plot thread which I'm sure was meant to be "romantic", just came of as disturbingly reminiscent of some sexual harrassment story.
Horrible horrible horrible. Take it away

Cats

The new The Apple?? give it ten years. Otherwise, a real furball. Screaming "Ulthar!" ... didn't help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F.jpg (33.4 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]