View Single Post
Old 14th October 2020, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 12th

Fright Night (1985)

An eighties vampire classic that doesn't go down the usual routes but borrows from the likes of Hitchcock's Rear Window instead of genre classics in an updating of the 'Boy who cries wolf' scenario with ingenious results.

William Ragsdale plays a teen who is convinced a vampire has just moved in next door, however his girlfriend, mum and best mate really aren't, nor is washed up late night tv horror host Roddy McDowell when Ragsdale approaches him for help.

Fright Night gives us some surprisingly complex character relationships that put it on a level above your typical eighties fright flick, yet it doesn't stint on the horror either especially in the mouth watering finale where practical gore and make up FX reign supreme.

Werewolf of London (1935)

Some six years before their iconic The Wolf Man, Universal gave us this offering. I find it bizarre that some seem to prefer it to the Lon Chaney classic because try as i might i just cannot get into it. There are some cringe worthy and extremely annoying London washer woman stereotypes but it's the werewolf itself that takes me completely out of the film. He looks just like Eddie Munster.