View Single Post
Old 25th October 2020, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 24th

A Werewolf in England (2020)

An ultra low budget British horror that begins in the style of Hammer Gothics, albeit with tongue lodged firmly in cheek with fun cliche ridden characters and some genuinely laugh out loud dialogue.

Then around the half hour mark the werewolves are introduced, great looking werewolves i might add even if they do wave their arms about in an unconvincing manner, and the film morphs into Hammer Horror goes Peter Jackson's Braindead via Precinct 13.

Despite it's low budget the movie looks great and i found it really quite enjoyable even if those bloody werewolves waved their arms around a bit too much to make it anywhere near a classic.

Oh and in answer to that oft answered question 'Do werewolves shit in the woods?'

No. They shit down the back of a hotel chair beneath which our intrepid hero is hiding.

The Woman in Black (1989)

Super creepy tv version of Susan Hill's terrific ghost story which has some very unnerving scenes. It's stately pace is in keeping with the M.R. James Ghost Stories for Christmas but this is far more chilling. Pauline Moran as the titular woman would frighten the life out of me if she hovered towards me in a graveyard as she does here.

This is neither better nor worse than the 2012 Hammer film. Both are excellent and both utilize different aspects of the novel yet neither is 100% faithful although this keeps the downbeat ending intact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71modbgQc2L._AC_SL1332_.jpg (98.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg the-woman-in-black.jpg (91.9 KB, 3 views)