View Single Post
Old 15th August 2021, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Lords of Chaos (2018)

An account of the start of the Norwegian black metal music scene through the perspective of Mayhem co-founder Euronymous.

Director Jonas Akerlund gave the film the tagline of 'About truth and lies' so the bulk of the film may be true other parts less so. None of the characters come across as particularly sympathetic and although it's all based on Euronymous' viewpoint he hardly comes across as the hero of the piece. Rival Varg Vikernes is just plain nasty. At one point he's asked by a journo interviewing him in his home how he can be a Satanist, a Pagan and a Nazi at the same time to which he has no answer but it sums him up perfectly. He also calls the likes of Morbid Angel and the Swedish death metal scene poseurs.

Whilst some of the film could be seen as a black metal version of Empire Records or Clerks for example other parts are truly horrific with very strong gore. The suicide of Dead is extremely graphic and i actually winced whilst watching it whilst a couple of murders are depicted in startling realism with the kills far more horrific than any slasher film.

The infamous church burnings are shown in all their fiery glory. In fact one of them is filmed in an almost poetic dreamlike way by Akerlund.

Unfortunately the film doesn't really depict the actual black metal scene in Norway at the time. It really is only Mayhem's influence that we see. It should be mentioned that there is a lot of black metal music played throughout the film - Mayhem, Tormentor, Bathory, there's also the likes of Sodom, Celtic Frost, Dead Can Dance, Cathedral, Carcass and Sigur Ros, but for me the two best songs in the whole film come from Accept (Fast as a Shark) and Dio's Stand Up and Shout. I was also fascinated by Euronymous' record store and often paused the Blu-ray so i could check out the record covers on display such as Motorhead, King Diamond, Metallica and weirdly Motley Crue.

Although the film is certainly of serious tone there's a wicked streak of black (metal) humour running throughout kind of summed up by a final narration from Euronymous following his death. As mellow music from Sigur Ros wafts through the speakers Euronymous finishes with a narration -

" No! F*ck, stop the sentimental shit! Stop! There's nothing sad about my death or my life. I'm Euronymous, founder of Mayhem, the most infamous Black Metal band in the world. I had my own record store. I had my own record label. I created a whole new musical genre: True Norwegian Black Metal! And I created Mayhem. What the f*ck have you done lately? Poser"

I don't think this film will be for all. Most will hate the music for a start and a fair few will be put off by the nastiness on show, some will also think it factually bollocks, but for anyone interested in the metal music scene this is required viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.8 KB, 3 views)