View Single Post
Old 5th October 2021, 02:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Zack Snyder's Justice League 2021 ★★★½

Improving on the theatrically-released Justice League might not be the film version of polishing a turd, but it's not too far off that.

In this sprawling re-cut, Zach Snyder has certainly created something epic and 'filmic' – the spectacle element means it's something I wish I'd seen at the cinema – but it's also incredibly and unnecessarily long.

The performances and the time the actors have on-screen means the characters are much better developed and there is ample opportunity to think about what is happening while events are unfolding. Ben Affleck is a very good Batman, Gal Gadot again impresses as Wonder Woman, I really enjoy Ezra Miller's The Flash, Henry Cavill is a good Superman and can't imagine anyone other than Jason Momoa playing Aquaman. Individually, they are very good, together they are even better.

Unfortunately, there are too many moments which feel self-indulgent, particularly Snyder's overuse of slow motion, but there is doubt he is a skilled visual storyteller with a great ear for music. I would really like to watch the film in 4K Ultra HD with the 3D object-based soundtrack, but I'm not going to pay full whack for it.