View Single Post
Old 10th October 2021, 12:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Body Snatcher (1945)

The first really good film of the season for me, I loved it, and a 'new to me' viewing via the WB double bill DVD with I Walk With A Zombie... It looks great for a DVD but bloody hell I'll have to buy the Blu-Ray now

Popped up on the screen Produced by Val Lewton (which I knew) and Directed by Robert Wise and I did a double take, wait, what... the director of West Side Story, The Sound of Music and Star Trek the Motion Picture... I looked it up, yes the very same! One of those films is among my most loved, can you guess which?

The plot (based on a short story by Robert Louis Stevenson) is essentially an extension of the famous Burke & Hare story, set in Edinburgh with some very questionable accents and pronunciations I really enjoyed this and thought that Karloff was great as the Cabbie Mr Gray sinister and a bit frightening. I'm not sure why Lugosi was here though, he doesn't do much aside from skulk about in the background as a doctor's assistant, probably just a marketing ploy by RKO to have both names on the poster!

The good quality stuff is over and done with now though because I plan to watch some Linnea Quigley 80's 'horror' movies next

Triumphant sight on a northern sky