View Single Post
Old 12th October 2021, 01:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 11th

Pumpkinhead Ashes to Ashes (2006)

Out of the three Pumpkinhead sequels this is the only true sequel the classic original movie.

Hellraiser great Doug Bradley plays a small town doctor with an unhealthy line in organ trafficking and then dumping the bodies of his victims in the nearby swamp. When the townsfolk discover the grisly remains they ask the old witch Haggis to invoke the demon Pumpkinhead to avenge their desecrated loved ones.

Lance Henriksen returns as Ed Harley or should i say the ghost of Ed Harley as the demon is summoned from Harley's mummified remains in a bloody little ceremony and what follows is a very enjoyable tale of vengeance as the demon stalks the town searching for Bradley. The creature effects are again excellent even if they are no longer created by Stan Winston and British director Jake West kept me interested in what was going to happen (I've seen this before a couple of times but i'd forgotten much of it).

Although the creature as a practical effect is very good it looks shit when done via CGI which happened when it was on a rooftop and then crashing through a church window. Thankfully these were two brief sequences so didn't distract too much.

Pumpkinhead Ashes to Ashes is for me a fun film with decent suspense and some nice gore and no pretensions and i very much enjoyed seeing it again last night.

Hell Fest (2018)

A colourful slasher about a group of young people who visit a Halloween carnival and end up stalked by a mask wearing serial killer.

What i've liked on both viewings of Hell Fest is the fact the film looked so damn good. The Hell Fest was a fabulous place, all gaudy, day-glow colours - no running around in pitch black darkness here folks - in fact it's quite Argento like in it's use of colour and felt fresh and original - with a reasonably likable cast to root for and a couple of really well done practical murder set pieces. It only let itself down because there simply weren't enough deaths which was a real pity, but on the whole this is pretty decent and feels like a genuine 80's slasher. I must admit though were it a choice of going to Hell Fest or watching the movie i'd not be sat in front om my tv that's for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pumpki6a.jpeg (27.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 514swksdirL.jpg (47.2 KB, 4 views)