View Single Post
Old 15th October 2021, 04:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Hell Fest (2018)

The very idea of going to one of these horror themed party festivals fills me with dread. That dread is compounded by the awful people at this particular Hell Fest, I'd much rather stay at home and just watch a film about it!

While enjoyable, it's a bit uneven, mainly because when the focus is on the core 6 college kids it's not as enjoyable because most of them are really annoying. It's important for horror film makers, if you want us to feel something when your cast of murder victims get killed off, you need to make them at least a bit likeable. Although the one 'nice boy' does get dispatched in a wince inducing moment that made me flinch and gasp out loud.

On the plus side, the visuals are stunning, all multi-coloured neon and fog. Also the killers mask is quite chilling, I really enjoyed that, according to the director it's based on some 19th century death masks he saw. Worth a watch for sure, there is a £3 dvd on amazon and it can be bought digitally on iTunes/Apple TV for £2 in HD.

Elvira's Haunted Hills (2001)

A silly but very entertaining pastiche of the Corman 'Poe Cycle' in particular taking cues from ...Usher, ...Ligeia and The Pit and Pendulum. Featuring all the tropes you'd expect like a dead wife, a demented husband losing grip on reality, a stable hand that speaks in a badly dubbed voice, cobwebs, castles, secret torture chambers, grave digging and very ample breasts!

Full of witty one-liners and winks at the audience, but not all of them land. So very camp and over the top, I can imagine that this might not be everyone's cup of tea, I liked it though on my re-watch!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky