View Single Post
Old 5th November 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. 1989.

Episode 1.

Jess is 7 years old, adopted by a family who preach the word of the lord and worship a strange cult, Jess has started school but her mother keeps her distance as the group believe Jess has come to them to be a savior.

Episode 2.

Jess is 16 years old still dominated by her mother and pastor, Jess meets Melanie and starts a lesbian relationship. When it's found out her family and pastor try a exorcism to banish the evil from her which ends things badly.

Episode 3.

Jess now 17 and still hurt by what happened, she has now meet a girl called Katy and realises who she is and wants to be happy, she tries to free herself from her Mother, the church and her home town.

I had to google what religion this programme followed and it's Pentecostal faith, never heard of them, Geraldine McEwan plays the fiesty dominating mother who believes Jess was a blessing and tries to raise her properly. Kenneth Cranham plays the Pastor and tries to coax young Jess to their beliefs but insists Jess played by Emily Aston (Jess, 7 years old) and Charlotte Coleman (Jess 16-17 years old) is possessed by demons.

This does focus more on the coming of age, trial and tribulations of being a teenager, trying to make decisions while they are being made for you, having and loosing friends, I have never read the book but from understanding there is more about Jess in her childhood.

MV5BMTkxMzEyOTIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg4MzEyMQ@@._V1_.jpg