View Single Post
Old 31st December 2021, 01:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scarface. 1983.

When a director has a bad cocaine addiction, what is he to do, make a film about the drug. Al Pacino plays the Cuban refugee who goes from a small time crook to the big man style in Miami. With some of his best work from The Godfather, Serpico and Cruising, Tony Montanta is definitely memorable as is the phrase "Say Hello To My Little Friend".

Michelle Pfeiffer felt somewhat embarrassed about being in Grease 2 the previous year but at least this film helped show her acting skills as the mobsters wife Elvira then joining forces with Tony and his rise to power to being the person he wanted to be and the fall of his empire and life.

Brian DePalma knew how to make a good film from the opening credits of Fidel Castro making his speech and then the interrogation, Tony and Manny doing small jobs then going for the big kill. I have never been a fan of Robert Loggia but in this he deserves some good credit for being the gangster type. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio plays Tony's little sister who seems to come between Tony and Manny that can raise some questions and certainly does look good in a open robe.

At clocking in just under three hours, this is time well spent with the acting, cinematography and a perfect background score by Giorgio Moroder who is able to piece together music for different parts of the film that blends in well with what happens.

large_yr3tfCMJwN95Lq6tuX9sla0UXX8.jpg