Old 14th March 2022, 01:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an American period comedy-drama streaming television series, created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, that premiered on March 17, 2017, on Amazon Prime Video. Set in the late 1950s and early 1960s, it stars Rachel Brosnahan as Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a New York housewife who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy and pursues a career in it. It also stars Alex Borstein, Michael Zegen, Marin Hinkle, Tony Shalhoub, Kevin Pollak, Caroline Aaron, Jane Lynch and Luke Kirby.

it doesn't seem that long ago that I was watching the first season of this on Prime Video and I have nearly finished the third season. I have really enjoyed every episode because of its clever blend of comedy and drama and the way it hits on both fronts – it's genuinely funny and works as a dramatisation of life in the US circa 1960.

It is extremely well-written with sharp dialogue between the characters, the exchanges between Midge (Rachel Brosnahan), her manager, Susie (Alex Borstein, probably best known as voicing Family Guy's Lois Griffin), her parents, Abe and Rose (Tony Shalhoub and Marin Hinkle), and her husband, Joel (Michael Zegen) are sometimes very funny with brilliant timing.

Midge's stand-up routines vary between being genuinely funny and a clever look at what is culturally and legally acceptable in American society 60 years ago, with comedians (like Lennie Bruce) routinely being arrested for saying things which are, by today's standards, far from obscene or transgressive. As most of her material comes from her every daily life, it's also an interesting look at a Jewish family, Jewish customs and, like Mad Men, a woman's place in a very male-dominated world.

After watching the last two episodes in the third season I'll probably go straight onto the fourth.