View Single Post
Old 14th March 2022, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
From Wikipedia:

it doesn't seem that long ago that I was watching the first season of this on Prime Video and I have nearly finished the third season. I have really enjoyed every episode because of its clever blend of comedy and drama and the way it hits on both fronts – it's genuinely funny and works as a dramatisation of life in the US circa 1960.

It is extremely well-written with sharp dialogue between the characters, the exchanges between Midge (Rachel Brosnahan), her manager, Susie (Alex Borstein, probably best known as voicing Family Guy's Lois Griffin), her parents, Abe and Rose (Tony Shalhoub and Marin Hinkle), and her husband, Joel (Michael Zegen) are sometimes very funny with brilliant timing.

Midge's stand-up routines vary between being genuinely funny and a clever look at what is culturally and legally acceptable in American society 60 years ago, with comedians (like Lennie Bruce) routinely being arrested for saying things which are, by today's standards, far from obscene or transgressive. As most of her material comes from her every daily life, it's also an interesting look at a Jewish family, Jewish customs and, like Mad Men, a woman's place in a very male-dominated world.

After watching the last two episodes in the third season I'll probably go straight onto the fourth.
I've recently watched all 4 seasons after my friends recommending it to me for the last 3 years! I have to say I loved it, one of my favourite shows, the writing is very witty and I could listen to Midge talking all the time.

I especially loved the string of episodes, season 3 I think, in the Catskills, really amusing writing.

Not sure if you're familar Nos, but the showrunners are most famous for Gilmore Girls, which is another fast paced dialogue show, although not set in a period, it's contemporary early 00's in Connecticut.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky