View Single Post
Old 7th June 2022, 09:32 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BMmIwZDMyYWUtNTU0ZS00ODJhLTg2ZmEtMTk5ZmYzODcxODYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

Pete Mitchell is called back to Top Gun to teach everything he knows to the best pilots the air force has to offer. This is a top secret mission that no one is expected to return from but Maverick has other ideas but there is a personal connection to this mission Mavericks old wingman and best friend Goose's son is one of the pilots he must mentor and make sure he comes home safe.

I LOVE Top Gun so when this was announced there was a real mix of excitement and terror that they would destroy the whole thing but truth be told i always have faith in Tom Cruise and he always maintained that he wouldn't make it if it wasn't going to be right. As much as i love Top Gun my girlfriend is a super fan it's her favourite film of all time so there was added pressure going to the cinema to see this if i was disappointed she would be crushed but we had no need to worry Top Gun Maverick is bloody AWESOME.

Right from the get go the opening credits are the exact same as the original film same font shot the exact same way once the opening credit fade from black we are on board an aircraft carrier with jets reading to take off suddenly just as the engines ignite the Top Gun theme fades to Kenny Loggins Danger Zone and boom goosebumps i wasn't expecting that .

The whole film is shot beautifully so many edge of your seat moments and crazy stunts the actual flight scenes are so intense and exhilarating they really get the heart pumping. Throughout there are plenty of flashbacks to the original film but it was done so well that it wasn't overpowering or cheesey and it never felt forced it had a place and relevance to the story not just to pull of the nostalgia and trick you into thinking this was a great film. There are also a few lump in throat moments especially the return of Val Kilmer as Iceman and it hits even more because Tom Cruise fought so hard to make sure Val Kilmer returned for that one scene and you can feel the emotion between them was real.

Tom Cruise never leaves me disappointed and i'm glad he didn't disappoint my girlfriend or the cinema may have been burned to the ground

9/10