View Single Post
Old 26th June 2022, 04:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Obi-Wan Kenobi over the last couple of days and thought it was very good. It begins with a brief recap of the first three films (Episodes I-III) and features a fine performance from Ewan McGregor in the title role. His Kenobi is often quite melancholy and the relationship has with the 10-year-old Leia Organa (an impressive Vivien Lyra Blair) is very engaging.

It probably won't sit well with some Star Wars fans but, for casual viewers of the franchise who aren't emotionally invested in the films, it is well-written and skilfully made entertainment.

Before that, I watched Muhammad Ali, a four-part miniseries (with each part split into two on BBC iPlayer) which chronicles the life of 'the greatest', from his birth and upbringing in Louisville to his Olympic success, rise through the heavyweight ranks, successful challenge for the championship, conversion to Islam and three-year exile from the sport, and his comeback and deterioration in later life.

It's a powerful reminder of what a supreme talent Ali was, a fighter blessed with extraordinary footwork and hand speed, a showman par excellence and a fighter who could also exhibit remarkable cruelty and extraordinary durability.

I'm surprised that there were a number of different contributors, from family and friends to journalists and other boxers, but no input from Thomas Hauser, the pre-eminent authority on Muhammad Ali's life and career.