View Single Post
Old 17th August 2022, 09:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Wizard of Gore (1970)

The Gore Gore Girls (1972

Probably Herschell Gordon Lewis' most accomplished films. Both up the gore substantially thankfully the acting as well as both films are highly watchable.

The Gore Gore Girls for me was the better of the two, the gore is at times quite unsettling in it's nature in very prolonged scenes of explicit violence. However it also seems to have things to say in a social sense as well, bit now a day after rewatching these two (First time on Blu-ray) it's the sheer sleazy sadism of The Gore Gore Girls that lingers long in the memory. The Wizard of Gore reminds me very much of Mardi Gras Massacre as the murders all play out in similar fashion to one another.

On the whole these two films actually being any good, along with 1964's Two Thousand Maniacs, are the exception and the other eleven films in the Arrow Lewis collection are for the most part dreadful. Meaning this box set will be leaving my collection in the next day or so. I'll probably buy the stand alone Blu of The Gore Gore Girls in the next Arrow sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (93.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Goregoregirls.jpg (24.0 KB, 4 views)