View Single Post
Old 21st August 2022, 11:17 PM
Cult Addict

Rare cinema trip tonight to see Top Gun: - Maverick. I have to admit I loved it, but I was surprised it's being so universally praised given it at times felt very disjointed, with scenes just opening and closing without any real bridging, (sort of thing I'd expect the critics to bitch and moan something chronic about). It almost felt like bits had randomly been cut.
That said, it's a film that knows it's audience and takes absolutely no shame in being what it is. A true popcorn blockbuster, something that despite all the mega bucks making marvel/dc stuff or any of the other "planet chucking" franchises as a certain Mr Dike calls them, doesn't really exist these days.
As has been mentioned in some of the reviews, Cruise slips back into the role of Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell effortlessly, but I felt he did more to be honest. He portrayed the character 30 something years later. And he did it extremely well, still larger than life and cocky as hell. But with visible insecurities, this character is getting older, and he knows it, his uncertainty about life's more difficult realities now shows. Cruise gave the character an interesting transition to an older more vulnerable version of Mavericks former self. It felt very believable that this was the same guy 30 years later, looking at a future that quite honestly wouldn't really need him much longer. It would have been interesting to at least have heard what had happened to Kelly McGillis character but hey ho, Jennifer Connelly makes for an excellent replacement as the love interest here, and frankly I thought the chemistry worked much better.
The cast overall were great, would have been nice to see more of Ed Harris's Cain. But still, he basically plays this sequels version of James Tolkan's Stinger.
Special mention to Miles Teller as Rooster. The casting here is impeccable once you realise who the character actually is.
Anyway, forgive my late night rambling. Top Gun: Maverick was a joy. It was a flawed film that really felt like it was from another era, from when movies were events and not just time passers, and as such the flaws were irrelevant. To this viewer anyway.

Last edited by J Harker; 22nd August 2022 at 10:07 AM.