View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2022, 03:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Coma. 1978.

A young female nurse discovers a large amount of patients slipping into coma's during operations and tries to discover what is happening and uncovers a dark conspiracy.

I'm sure we are all familiar with the works of Michael Crichton, for this one he manages to take someone else's project and turn it into a very tense and quite harrowing thriller. This does work on fear, we have fear of hospitals, surgeries and operations, fear of not wakening up or worried that the doctor doing the operation may make a slip and cause more problems than necessary.

Genevieve Bujold plays the young intern nurse Susan Wheeler who begins to suspect that patients are deliberately being put into coma's during their routine operation and begins her own investigation. Michael Douglas plays a doctor at the hospital and her loving boyfriend Mark Bellows who isn't so loving when he disbelieves her antics and begins to suspect she is over working herself. Richard Widmark stars as the main hospital administrator and head surgeon and gives out a decent performance that can always seem a bit chilling when Bujold presents her findings to him.

This doesn't start of quickly, there is a bit of a slow pace for the character build up of Bellows and Wheeler and has a good line for a argument everytime we argue, you get naked a woman knows how to play the ace card and stop a argument from happening. Jerry Goldsmith manages to create a great score that doesn't kick in a lot until middle of the film and makes the movie more tense than what it already is. I honestly forgot how good this one actually is with a woman being in a man's world and still comes up strong.

Coma_film_poster.jpg